Guest Editor: Chip Bruce
Schools editor: Andy Kaplan
This symposium shares ways to think about democratic education in today’s world, and how we should plan for the future. How should issues such as indigenous people’s rights, racism, women’s rights, authoritarian governments, the concentration of wealth, the climate crisis, pandemics, and more make us analyze, discuss, and work to create democratic education?
We highly encourage submissions from classroom educators at all levels, from educators outside the United States, and from educators associated with alternative schools or informal learning.
Our initial call for papers in February 2022 led to proposals by almost 40 educators from all over the world. We held two zoom workshops for contributors over the past summer, which led to exciting manuscript submissions. The submissions include articles about teacher education for democracy, a ninth grade program devoted to the dreams and hopes of its students, and a social justice program for pregnant and parenting teenagers. These three articles will appear in the Spring 2023 issue of Schools, marking the first of what promises to be a robust and ongoing symposium.
Interested authors should submit a one-page prospectus describing what their project entails. This is to determine appropriateness and balance for the special issue. We anticipate a mix of empirical and theoretical contributions. Completed manuscripts will undergo the usual Schools: Studies in Education review process before final acceptance.
There is a possibility of a follow-on book publication based on revised versions of the articles, after publication in Schools.
For consideration in the Fall 2023 publication:
- April 15, 2023: final manuscript deadline
- May 1, 2023: editors’ review of the manuscript sent to author
- June 1, 2023: outside review of the manuscript
- July 1, 2023: final revised copy
For consideration in the Spring 2024 publication:
- February 15, 2023: one-page prospectus for your proposed article
- March 15, 2023: response to the prospectus
- October 15, 2023: final manuscript to be considered for the Spring 2024 issue
- October 31, 2023: editors’ review of the ms.
- November 30, 2023: outside review of the ms.
- December 31, 2023: final, revised copy